Email MeKay Linette Evans
Ms. Evans has practiced in Boone County and all surrounding counties for 24 years. She began her career as a Public Defender in 1989 and was chosen as Missouri's "OUTSTANDING DEFENDER" in 1994. This honor is given to an individual each year who "faithfully and unselfishly places justice before any other concerns", and whose talent, resourcefulness and dedication to her chosen profession embodies this ideal.
In 1995, Ms. Evans joined Milt Harper and continues to practice exclusively criminal law. She has represented a wide variety of people and types of cases and tried dozens of jury trials, including Murder, Rape, Stealing, Drug Offenses, DWI's, Assaults, and Sexual Assaults. Her experience and knowledge allows her to test each case for constitutional issues, including illegal searches and seizures. Ms. Evans challenges all cases with the same vigor regardless if it is a serious felony allegation or a traffic ticket. Her approach to law includes establishing a professional relationship with the client, spending time getting to know each client and their case. She firmly believes that an attorney must know their client to effectively represent them.
Ms. Evans has been a substance abuse counselor and prison guard. She has a degree in Psychology and Sociology and went to Law School when she was 31 years old. She brings maturity, experience, and wisdom to her practice.
Ms. Evans participates in the University of Missouri Law School Orientation Luncheon for first year law students each year, discussing the professionalism of the practice with new students. She also speaks most semesters to Hickman High School students studying "Law in Society". She participates in and has chaired the Boone County Criminal Law committee.
Ms. Evans finds time to spend with her 2 grandchildren, reading, and gardening.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Criminal
- Criminal Fraud
- Drug Violations
- Juvenile Crimes
- Parole & Probation
- Sex Offenses
- Traffic Violations
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Missouri, 1989
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- Missouri Western State College, St. Joseph, Missouri
- B.A. - 1975
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Psychology
- Minor: Sociology
- Clients with Criminal Charges
- Interviewing and Counseling Guest Speaker, University of Missouri, 2004 - 2005
- Advocacy Class Guest Speaker, University of Missouri, 2005
- Law and Society Class, Hickman High School, 2000 - 2010
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Defender (Public Defender), 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Boone County Bar Association, Member, 1995 - 2010
- Criminal Law Committee, Chair, 2008 - 2009
- Judicial Law Enforcement Task Force, Member, 2009 - 2010
- The Missouri Bar, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Public Defender's Office, Attorney, 1989 - 1995
- Heartland Hospital, Medical/Surgical Buyer, 1985 - 1989